Search This Blog

Saturday, April 20, 2013

“The simple joy of receiving and unwrapping a gift - something that us privileged people take for granted”: Souradipta Chandra

deepositive2I remember receiving a call from Dr. Souradipta Chandra, he introduced himself as Dr. Shaurya and he asked, if he could stop by at the workshop, to drop off some goodies. A couple of days later, we met, at the workshop and the next couple of hours were filled with conversations about life over coffee and wrapping of the tokens of Gratitude. I remember it most because of the fact that they, both Shaurya and Romik, felt like family, like we’d all known each other forever and that day!

It is amazing, when, people come together and share of themselves so generously, making time from busy schedules to come on over and pack surprises!!

Here’s what he wrote to us!

While browsing through the newspaper on a particularly grouchy day before Christmas, I came across a random article on DeePositive, and the unusual yet amazing way by which Deepanjali and gang were spreading Christmas cheer around the city.

Intrigued, I decided to make my own little contribution and dragged my friend Romik to the address mentioned in the article, armed with random boxes of stuff that I purchased - including chocolates, wafers, biscuits, cakes etc.

We reached Santa's workshop just before 9 in the evening, it was probably 3-4 days before Christmas. It was pretty darn cold, as per usual (Delhi Decembers are famous for that).

20121221_222303deeposi1

So it was a welcome surprise to be enveloped in an unusual feeling of warmth as Romik and me gingerly strolled into the workshop. I realized why.

Cuz within seconds,we were welcomed by Deepanjali and her crew of elves, busy arranging, wrapping and packing random gifts with an infectious cackle here and a banter there, and it was possibly the spirit of the workshop that was the reason behind the warmth. It felt like home.

We were initially there to just donate our gifts and leave, but the charged atmosphere of that place was rather addictive, and difficult to resist.

We stayed back and wrapped and arranged gifts, meant for an alarmingly large fraction of the people of this city who might have never had the chance to unwrap a gift so far.

It was beyond amazing, and we were both humbled and elated after our time spent at the workshop.

20121221_221958deeposi3

 

Hands down, it was the best money I had spent in 2012. Worth every penny.

Each blessing counts, and I'm sure the occasional smile lighting up each and every one of those faces that had received a gift last Christmas contributed to my 2013 starting off on a happy note - and touchwood, it's been an incredible year so far!

I'm glad I could be a part of the Christmas cheer Deepanjali and DeePositive created - it helped me give back a minute fraction of what I've been blessed with so far. In return I got back a lot more than I could have ever imagined - well, peace of mind for starters, and a fancy trip to New York a few weeks ago as well ;)

I'm definitely looking forward to be a part of this year's workshop - and I'm sure Deepanjali's team will make sure that more than a hundred thousand people in the  city experience the simple joy of receiving and unwrapping a gift - something that us privileged people take for granted. 

Thanks DeePositive :) Keep on bringing out those smiles - they're thoroughly infectious! : Souradipta Chandra

Santa Hugs of Gratitude to you for being a part of our lives and a part of the workshop: Team DeePositive

No comments:

Post a Comment